Most of you probably like the idea of an LS7 nestled between the fenders of your hot rod or project car. This engine has been one of Chevrolet’s most talked about production engines in the past. And while it’s always been possible to install the 427-based LS in a vehicle, finding one is a challenge. If you do find one, they usually come with a big price tag because there are rare. Another problem, the LS7 has a dry-sump oiling system, which also provides installation headaches and added cost. However, Chevrolet Performance has just made an announcement that certainly got our attention by introducing a 427 into its crate engine lineup.
The new LS427/570 crate engine from Chevrolet Performance cranks out more power than the previous production engine while ditching the dry-sump oiling system. The wet-sump system will allow for easier installation in cars and trucks while saving room under the hood of your project. This 427 cubic-inch power plant cranks out 570 horsepower and 540 lb-ft of torque, which is an increase of 65-horsepower and 70 lb-ft of torque, thanks to the addition of a higher lift camshaft.
LS427/570 Tech Specs
- Part Number: 19420191
- Engine Type: LS-Series Small-Block V-8
- Displacement (cu. in.): 427 (7.0L)
- Bore x Stroke (in.): 4.125 x 4.000 (101.6 x 92 mm)
- Block (P/N 12602689): Cast aluminum block with 6-bolt, cross-bolted main caps
- Crankshaft (P/N 12611649): Forged steel
- Connecting Rods (P/N 12661677): Forged titanium
- Pistons: Hypereutectic aluminum
- Camshaft Type (P/N 19419859): Hydraulic roller
- Valve Lift (in.): .591 intake/.590 exhaust
- Camshaft Duration (@.050 in.): 227º intake/242º exhaust
- Camshaft Lobe Separation Angle: 116º
- Cylinder Heads: CNC-ported LS7-style ports with 70 cc combustion chambers
- Valve Size (in.): 2.200 titanium intake, 1.610 sodium-filled exhaust
- Compression Ratio: 11.0:1
- Rocker Arms: Investment-cast, roller-bearing trunnion
- Rocker Arm Ratio: 1.8:1 (offset intake)
- Recommended Fuel: Premium pump
- Maximum Recommended RPM: 7000 rpm
- Balanced: Internal
The LS427/570 crate engine comes assembled and includes a 14-inch Camaro Z/28 168-tooth manual transmission flywheel. You will need to purchase the LS427 Engine Controller (PN 19420000), which is sold separately. Chevrolet Performance also recommends the use of 5W50 Mobil 1 engine oil for the LS427.
For more information on this crate engine and others, please visit Chevrolet.com.