On November 16-18, 2017 Mecum Auctions held a collector-car auction for the very first time in Las Vegas, Nevada. Over the three day event, more than 550 vehicles were sold, with a final sales total of over $22,000,000. The strong sales matched the predicted performance of the auction, and all but guarantees a return to Sin City for Mecum Auction’s Collector-Car auction.
Interestingly, the top ten vehicles sold at the Las Vegas auction commanded over 11-percent of the total auction sales – $2,495,000 – while only comprising 1.7-percent of the cars sold at the auction. Of the top ten cars, there were two pairs of remarkably similar cars (numbers one and two, and four and five). The complete list of the top ten cars:
1. A Fathom Blue 1968 Chevrolet Yenko Camaro out of the Les Quam Collection sold for $600,000
2. A Matador Red1968 Chevrolet Yenko Camaro RS/SS fresh off of a full restoration sold for $450,000
3. A one-owner Midnight Blue Metallic 2006 Ford GT sold for $290,000
4. A 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback sold for $200,000
5. Another 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback sold for $200,000
6. A 1932 Packard 902 Eight Roadster Coupe sold for $164,000
7. A 1958 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible sold for $160,000
8. A 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Resto-mod sold for $151,000
9. A 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe sold for $145,000
10. A 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Split Window Coupe sold for $135,000
A surprising top-ten list, make and model wise, but it resides firmly mid-pack in the 2017 Mecum Collector-Car auction circuit, when you total up the sales. Not bad for a first-time event in a new city, and as always, it’s nice to see Muscle Cars holding their own in the top-ten lists.