If you haven’t heard yet, Edelbrock and COMP Cams have teamed up. They are now both part of the same family. This is good news for all us gearheads and car enthusiasts. The two companies make a good team. They have been working around the clock to bring us LS engine-swap kits that make inserting an LS into earlier vehicles a whole lot easier. These kits are centered around Edelbrock’s Pro-Flo 4 EFI system and the COMP Cams Thumpr series camshaft and valvetrain systems.
Here is some of what they have to offer:
COMP Thumpr Camshaft Package
- This kit alone can add somewhere around 60 hp! The star of this package is a Thumpr Stage 1 roller cam that is rated at 222/223 degrees duration at .050-inch lift and .541/.536-inch lift with a 1,600-6,400 rpm operating range. It has been paired with a matched set of 1.282-inch valve springs, seals, locks, and retainers. This kit also includes a set of pushrods, roller lifters, and timing set in cam packages for GEN III engines.
COMP Trunnion Upgrade Kit
- This kit will convert your LS’ stock needle bearing rocker arms to captured roller trunnion units. Thus giving stable valve timing across the entire RPM range of your engine. The kit includes trunnions, bearings, and retaining rings.
COMP Cam Installation Kit
- If you want to do a cam swap, this kit contains all the little bits and pieces needed to make it happen. It comes with cam and crank bolts, cam gear-locking plate, gaskets for your valve covers, front cover, EGR, and water pump.
Edelbrock EFI Fuel Sump System
- This kit is designed to work with your vehicle’s existing carbureted fuel system. This self-contained system has a 225 LPH electric pump in a fuel-filled sump as well as an internal fuel-pressure regulator to boost the fuel pressure that feeds the Pro-Flo 4 EFI. This particular system fits completely under your hood and does not require a return line into the tank.
Edelbrock Max-Fire Ultra Spark 50 Ignition Wires
- 8.5mm wires that have a ferromagnetic Kevlar spiral wound core and a 50-ohm resistance level to deliver maximum spark, as well as RFI suppression to help protect your computer and other electronics.
Edelbrock/COMP Cams Pro-Flo 4 LS Swap Kits
There are three versions of these kits for Gen III and Gen IV LS engines. The kits for the Gen IV engines include a COMP Cams Cylinder Deactivation Delete Kit that will eliminate the factory Displacement on Demand/Active Fuel Management system.
Kits with Pro-Flo 4 Throttle Body EFI
- These kits feature Edelbrock’s Pro-Flo 4 throttle body EFI. Also included is a touch-screen tablet, loaded with the Edelbrock E-Tuner software. This allows you to fine-tune your system. Make sure you choose a kit with the crank sensor harness you need — 24x for a Gen III or 58x for a Gen IV. If you are planning to run boost, you will need to grab Edelbrock’s two-bar MAP sensor (P/N 3542).
Kits with Pro-Flo 4 LS Engine Management and FAST Intake Manifold
- So you want to run your factory-style intake manifold and fuel injector setup? Well, this is the kit for you. This kit comes with the Pro-Flo 4 LS Engine Management System and a FAST LSX polymer intake manifold that will allow use of a 92mm throttle body. Also included is a FAST intake-port seal kit and OEM fuel rail/injector adapter kit.
Kits with Pro-Flo 4 XT Systems
- This final kit features the Pro-Flo 4 XT EFI system and an XT aluminum manifold that is assembled with 29 lb-hr injectors. It also includes fuel rails and a 92 mm throttle body. The Pro-Flo 4 is a self-learning ECU and can be fine-tuned with the hand-held tablet and E-Tuner 4 software. Again, you will want to make sure you choose the kit that has the correct crank sensor harness you need, and if you are running boost you will need that two-bar MAP sensor.
But wait there is more. . .
TCI didn’t want to be left out of the game. They have recommended some of its StreetFighter torque converters that best match the upgraded power you are making to your engine.
- TCI-242931 converter for the 4L60E transmissions
- TCI-243016 converter for the 1981-84 700R4 transmissions
You can check out and purchase the complete line of kits here.