If you’ve been following Street Muscle Magazine’s social media, especially the Facebook page, you’ll be familiar with our recurring podcast, RodCAST Live. For the uninitiated, the show is an all-encompassing dive into the deep-end of automobilia.
The show’s host Vinny Costa, Editor of Power Automedia’s Street Muscle and Rod Authority magazines, and his co-host Greg Acosta, Editor of Engine Labs take viewers and listeners on a live virtual interview with their guests – playing game segments and generally just having a good time.
The show airs every Friday at Noon PST on the Street Muscle Facebook page. Viewers can expect live interaction with guests and hosts alike – viewer participation is strongly encouraged.
Episode 22 offers an in depth and poignant look at a very serious topic – journalistic integrity, specifically in the modern age. Jeff Smith is one of the most well-respected automotive journalists in the space today. His career spans decades and he’s published some of the most evergreen and valuable pieces of tech editorial as the editor of Hot Rod, Car Craft, and Chevy High Performance magazines. We could think of no one better to comment on the duty of an automotive journalist. Below are some of the topics we covered with Jeff during our conversation. Check out the video above for the whole story.
- What Is The Duty Of A Journalist?
- Is “Clickbait” A New Phenomena, Or Does It Simply Have A New Name?
- Satire Vs Engaging Relevant Content.
- Perceived Bias With Sponsor Provided Parts.
- Ad Sales Explained.
- A Day In The Life Of A Hot Rod Editor In Its Hay Day.
- The Future Of Automotive Journalism.
We hope this episode offers some insight into the man behind the tech and gives our viewers a look at just how Jeff has crafted such a lengthy and prolific career in automotive journalism.
The previous 21 episodes can still be seen on Street Muscle’s Facebook page. Links to each individual episode are listed below along with the guest’s name and a short summary/recap – just click on the episode you want to watch, and the link will take you there.
- Episode #1 – The Usual Suspects/ Power Automedia:
- On this episode, we introduce and get some back story on our usual suspects: Vinny Costa (Host, Editor Street Muscle Magazine), Greg Acosta (Co-Host, Editor EngineLabs), Shawn Brereton (Editorial Director), Randy Bolig (Editor ChevyHardcore), Dave Cruikshank (Previous Editor Rod Authority), and Dave Pankew (Turnology).
- Episode #2 – Blane Burnett/ Holley:
- Episode #3 – Vinny & Greg/ Late Model Muscle:
- Vinny and Greg talk about modern muscle cars, their engines, and the technology behind them. They weigh the pros and cons of buying a newer muscle car against something cheaper that needs more work. Find out if you agree!
- Episode #4 – Brandon McCray/ Alloy Studios:
- In this episode, Vinny and Greg talk to Brandon McCray of Power Automedia’s Alloy Studios. We go over current video projects, his ’68 Mustang Fastback project, and play a new game called Automotive This Or That! Where we match up similar vehicles and have our guests choose one and justify it!
- Episode #5 – Brian Petty/ Horsepower Wars 10k Drag Shootout:
- Episode #6 – Lyle Barnett/ Horsepower Wars 10K Drag Shootout – Brian Havins/ LSX Magazine:
- Vinny and Greg speak with Lyle Barnett, a returning champion, who offers his own take on just what happened during the season finale of Horsepower Wars 10k drag shootout! (Spoiler Alert: He attempts to de-bunk much of what Brian Petty said.)
- Vinny and Greg also chat with Brian Havins, Editor of LSX Magazine, about current projects and the LSX Magazine/LS Fest West cruise through the Valley Of Fire.
- Episode #7 – Vinny & Greg/ Project Car Updates:
- In this episode, of RodCAST Live, Vinny and Greg discuss modifying their daily driver projects, the C8 running 10-second quarter-mile times, and the leaked photos of Ford’s new Bronco.
- Episode #8 – Jeff Thisted/ Goodguys Rod & Custom Association/ Idrivea55.com:
- Episode #9 – Sam Memmolo/ Sam’s Garage Radio Show/ Shadetree Mechanic/ Two Guys Garage:
- Vinny and Greg talk to Sam Memmolo of Shadetree Mechanics, Two Guys Garage, and his very successful radio show – Sam’s Garage Radio Show. Sam helped pioneer the wave of automotive-based reality television millions of Americans enjoy every day. He breaks down how he got his start, and gives advice to anyone looking to follow in his footsteps.
- Episode #10 – Richard Holdener
- You know him as a zany internet personality, but Richard is a technical editor with over 25 years of hands-on experience in the automotive industry. Despite receiving a Bachelor of Arts in Advertising, Richard decided to follow his passion for all things automotive. Vinny and Greg take a deep dive into Holdener’s background, from his early days racing with Hal Baer and breaking land speed records, to spending countless time at Westech Performance Group – The Dyno Center, to churn out one-of-a-kind content and data for enthusiasts like you.
- Episode #11 – Garrett Alexander Reed/ American Muscle HD
- You’ll probably know him by his Instagram handle, AmericanMuscleHD. Garrett started the famous Instagram page almost a decade ago when the social media app was still in its infancy. Since then, it has grown an astronomical following, and we cover everything under the sun – from starting a social media empire to building wicked project cars and everything in between.
- Episode #12 – Vinny & Greg/ Project Car Updates:
- Greg Acosta and Vinny Costa recap the first 11 episodes and do a deep dive on their personal project builds including Street Muscle Magazine’s Project Snake Eyes! They even show a video of a Plexiglass LS Engine!
- Episode #13 – Kevin Oeste/ V8TV
- Vinny and Greg speak with Kevin Oeste of V8TV, SEMA, and much, much more! You know the name, the history, and the deep-seated love for all things muscle. Kevin gives us a rare inside look at just how he got to be the figure he is in the automotive space today. He even makes time to offer his advice to viewers who are looking to take the same path.
- Episode #14 – Mike Copeland/ Arrington Performance/Diversified Creations
- In the 14th episode of the RodCast, Vinny and Greg dive into the extremely interesting background of Mike Copeland, owner of Arrington Performance / ShopHemi.com. His resume includes a world champion before getting his driver’s license, a 26-year career at GM, a significant stint at Lingenfelter Performance, before buying Arrington Performance.
- Episode #15 – Randy Bolig/ Chevy Hardcore
- Vinny and Greg talk Mopars, music, and Musclecars in general with Randy Bolig, the editor of Chevy Hardcore magazine. While he runs a Chevrolet-specific magazine, Randy has been an all-around gearhead since before he could legally drive.
- Episode #16 – Stephanie Davies-Bardekoff/ Ford Muscle
- In this episode, Vinny and Greg talk to fellow editor Stephanie Davies-Bardekoff about some really cool projects *COUGH*Coyote-powered Barracuda*COUGH*, the electric Cobra Jet and Ford’s overall electrification.
- Episode #17 – Ed Zinke/ Power Automedia
- In this episode of the RodCAST, Vinny and Greg talk to Ed Zinke. Ed has been an enthusiast all of his life, and he’s transformed that into a 40-plus year career in the automotive aftermarket, with his hand in quite a number of famous projects throughout the years.
- Episode #18 – How To Find Your First Project Car
- In this episode, Vinny & Greg talk about buying your first project car. The process can be a big step with a lot of things to consider and potential pitfalls to be aware of.
- Episode #19 – Shawn Davis/ AutotopiaLA
- Episode 19 offers a deep dive into the life and times of Shawn Davis. Shawn is the owner and operator of Autotopia LA –a high-end vehicle storage and concierge facility. His facility caters to celebrity clients and builders from across the globe. He also takes a few moments to regale us with tales from his wild rockstar past, and interesting stories from the present. His automotive exploits can all be seen on his AutotopiaLA youtube channel.
- Episode #20 – Kyle Tucker/ Detroit Speed, Inc.
- Episode 20 goes behind the scenes with a man any self-respecting fan of pro-touring and modern hot rodding should know – Kyle Tucker of Detroit Speed, Inc. Kyle tells us about his early days on the farm and behind the wheel of a dirt track car at his local races, to working as an engineer for General Motors, and finally how he’s become a household name for auto enthusiasts as the owner of Detroit Speed, Inc. and builder of some prolific, award-winning cars like TUX, the famous 1969 Camaro.
- Episode #21 – Scott Parker/ VP – Power Automedia/ Founder – Strictly Pro Touring
- In episode 21, Vinny sits down and talks about all aspects of Pro Touring with Scott Parker. Parker recently kicked off a passion project of his own, Strictly Pro Touring, where he discusses Pro Touring as a whole, as well as his own Pro Touring project, a 1968 Pontiac GTO called “Payback.”
- Episode #22 – Jeff Smith On Journalistic Integrity In The Modern Age
- If you’re an automotive enthusiast, you’ve read something from Jeff Smith. His career spans more than 4 decades, and he’s widely respected by his peers, making him a prime candidate to weigh in on this important topic of journalistic ethics and integrity – as well as regale us with some awesome stories.
- Episode #1 – The Usual Suspects/ Power Automedia:
Tune in next Friday at 12pm PST to the Street Muscle Facebook page to catch all the latest action!