When it comes to musclecar rear suspensions, is there one system that outperforms another? Some feel that a leaf spring is adequate, while others swear by coilovers and four bars. But what some might not even consider is a torque arm suspension like one from Total Cost Involved.
Cars with a lot of horsepower and great traction can do some strange things when you amp up the throttle early in a corner. With a typical four-link suspension, the instant center is a moving target, while a torque arm has the advantage of maintaining a fixed instant center location, and a fairly long swing arm length.
Total Cost Involved Engineering’s first-generation Camaro Torque Arm assembly is engineered for high horsepower cars that see not only street duty, but also autocross and/or road race. According to Jason Wilcox of TCI, “Our torque arm suspension features a telescoping slider at the front of the arm that rotates as the car experiences suspension travel and articulation. This allows the car’s handling to be controlled by the coilover shocks and the rear sway bar with no suspension binding variables. The kit allows for a lowered stance, greater rear axle control, and dramatically improved handling.” Adjustability is built-in, as there are three 1-inch increment height adjustments on the axle brackets, which adds to the ride height adjustability of the coilovers.
We asked Jason about ease of installation, and he had this to say, “The installation mostly requires drilling and bolting in of the components. We say mostly, because the Camaro torque arm kit does require welding of the axle brackets, Panhard bracket, and torque arm tabs onto the axle housing. We provide detailed instructions to properly attach the axle brackets. The optional anti-sway bar will also require brackets to be welded onto the axle housing.”
Jason finished by saying, “All TCI Engineering products come with our Dual Warranty, which is a six year, 60,000 Mile warranty on wear and tear items like bushings, coilovers, and ball joints. Any items built in house by TCI Engineering such as link bars, control arms, spindles, crossmembers, etc., come with a lifetime warranty.
What You Get
- 1-1/4-inch high performance link bars
- 1-3/4-inch torque arm with slider and reinforcing flanges
- 1-1/2-inch coilover crossmember with channel brackets
- 1-inch adjustable Panhard bar with left and right rod ends
- Axle housing brackets with torque arm tabs and install tool
- Adjustable pinion support tubes with rod ends with tabs and install tool
- 1-3/4-inch crossmember with driveshaft loop
- Bolt-on trailing arm channel brackets
- Floor reinforcing plates and hardware
- Greasable urethane bushing
- Coilover shocks
Features And Benefits
- Dramatically improves handling
- Eliminates bind during articulation
- Strengthens the chassis
- Lowered stance and center of gravity
- True bolt-in with no cutting of the floor required
- All heliarc-welded for the highest quality and strength